Turn around. September 1 is gaining on you.
What’s so special about September 1?
It marks my official start to the last 1/3 of the year. Most people think about the last quarter – I suggest you start to think about your business in thirds.
• jump-starting new clients
• launching new programs for existing clients
• executing your business plan or (in January) developing your new one
• active business development and marketing
• investing in the business
• revising your operating budget based on current results
• keeping the proactive business development and marketing going
• taking a critical assessment of the first six-eight months and revising your plans accordingly
• conducting formal client reviews
• continuing your rolling budget review
• adding new resources
• preparing for the stretch run to December
September-December: you are entering one of the most critical periods of the year. This is the time frame that can make or break the following year. Develop a four-month plan for success.
• winning business that will carry over to next year
• reviewing your stars’ career development track, and keeping them motivated and enthused
• addressing client vulnerabilities and opportunities with additional client review sessions
• selling in new services to achieve stretch goals
• beginning to plan for the following year
September 1 is almost here.
What are you doing to prepare for this critical 1/3 of your year?